Advertising and promoting your company or organisation has changed dramatically over the last 5 years or so, with computer and internet usage reaching virtually every office, home or factory throughout the developed world. These changes coupled with the downturn in the global economy have resulted in a new landscape and new rules for advertising and marketing.
Online or internet marketing has been a huge growth area but one often misunderstood. In many cases technology is put before strategic planning or even straightforward common sense.
To make the most out of internet marketing, you should really start where you would have traditionally stated with any marketing or advertising. Asking fundamental questions such as who are your customers, what would you like to say to them and how you can reach them are the bedrock of any marketing and communications and apply in the same way to internet based marketing.
So in practical steps how can you start to make the most out of your internet marketing?
1. Ensure your website is working for you. Make sure your customers can find and interact with your website in an easy and intuitive way and ensure it fits into your overall business plans.
2. Consider the bigger picture when promoting your site, Search Engine Optimisation is very good at increasing your traffic but e-flyers and email newsletters can also be very effective and cost-efficient routes to promoting yourself.
3. Engage your customers. Don’t just bombard your contacts with generic information on your company, make what you are sending out is useful, engaging and worthwhile.
4. Utilise other techniques such as social networking, viral advertising and linking strategies.
5. Understand than just like any other form of promotion or marketing, no one method is likely to work in isolation, you need to consider a whole range of techniques in a marketing mix that is appropriate for you and your customers.
6. Yes we know we said top 5 hints. Last but not least establish a good relationship with a knowledgeable web design and internet marketing company. Having a good relationship means you can talk through the marketing (online or offline) that has worked for you in the past and your agency can work out a programme of internet marketing that is appropriate for you and explain the various methods and techniques available to you.